Monday 12 September 2011

Dave Gorman Vs. The Rest of The World

I have loved both of the previous Dave Gorman books that I could get my hands on, and my feelings didn't change while reading his latest: Dave Gorman Vs. The Rest of the World in which he challenges anyone to a game of their choice, be it darts or Egyptian laser chess (otherwise known as Khet).  
  My enjoyment of Gorman's antics stem not from the bizzare challenges he sets himself but after finishing DGVtRotW I realised I love them because of the people he meets are always interesting, and without this book I would have thought they were the stuff of fiction.  For example the monopoly lady who with her husband and two other couples would play with real money.  Or the guy in Wales with the secret Subbuteo attic who in my head sounded like uncle Brynn from Gavin and Stacey.  There's a blip at the end with a guy named Steve, but he's needed as a moral to this story.
  Also Gorman's writing style means that his books are never hard to read, and I often have to slow myself down otherwise I'd be done with them in less than a day.  If you need a smile, or you love board games (or any kind of game) then pick this up, and after you've read it pass it on to someone else because everyone should feel how I do after reading one of his books.     

No comments:

Post a Comment