Wednesday 13 June 2012

Soulless

Gail Carriger's books have been on my radar for a while, but for some absurd reason the cover always put me off.  This changed recently, after finally reading the blurb on the back of the book, and I decided to give Soulless, the first in the parasol protectorate series, a chance.

  After finishing Soulless I couldn't express how glad that I finally decided to read this fantastic series.  Alexia Tarrabotti is an intriguing, and somewhat refreshing, character, as are the other colourful creations to be found in Soulless.  In the beginning, it becomes evident that Carriger is extremely adept at developing a world all of her own for her strange characters to inhabit.  Her description of Tarrabotti's world is so vivid and detailed that I wondered if  I had picked up the second book by mistake. 
  The only negative is that perhaps the plot is not as strong as it could have been, but this was a capable entry into what will hopefully be a fascinating series.

No comments:

Post a Comment