Wednesday 20 June 2012

wide sargasso sea

Part of the Penguin Essentials set, that just happen to have gorgeous covers, I've always wanted to read Wide Sargasso Sea and as a new book in the library I felt compelled to rent it. 
A sort-of prequel to Jane Eyre, Wide Sargasso Sea attempts to explain how Mr. Rochester's first wife, Bertha, ended up 'haunting' Thornfield Hall.
  I found it difficult getting my brain back into proper literature mode, as I've been devouring some mindless fluff for a while, but after re-reading certain passages, I felt that I had a better grasp of what was happening.  There's a lot of interesting questions raised by Rhys, and this is not a read-once and never think about it again type of book.  Maybe in a year, I'll give it a re-read and be able to divulge a bit more!

No comments:

Post a Comment