Tuesday 9 October 2012

Of Bees and Mist

Initially, I struggled to read Of Bees of Mist.  An original fairytale following the life of Meridia, who upon marrying, leaves her childhood home full of mysterious mist and discord between her parents, only to find that life with her husband's family is not the safe haven she first believed it to be.

Once I reached the core of the story I began to really enjoy Erick Setiawan's debut novel.  I liked how Meridia grew over the course of the book, and that although it is a modern fairytale, nothing explicitly supernatural happens, anything unusual, like the bees, can be taken as analogies of events that occur in everyday life.  I also liked the ending, as it stayed true to each of the characters individual journeys.  Most of all I liked the timeless nature of the story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment