Saturday 8 June 2013

Level 2

Felicia Ward is dead.  Trapped in Level 2, the waiting room between earth and heaven, she spends endless days replaying memories, of her family, friends, boyfriend...and of the guy who broke her heart.  The guy who has just broken into Level 2 to find her.

Felicia learns that a rebellion is brewing in Level 2, and it seems she is the key.  Suspended between heaven and earth, she must make a choice.  Between two worlds, two lives and two loves.

I picked up Level 2 because the blurb sounded interesting, while skipping over the part where it mentions a love triangle.  All I can say is, what an idiot!  I took Level 2 with me on holiday, managing to read it in a day.  I was left with the notion that Lenore Appelhans debut novel wasn't terrible, yet I'm not inclined to recommend it to any one either. 

For starters, there were so many typical YA tropes. In such a short book, that's a real achievement.  However, my main problem was with the sections that took place in Level 2; a sort of purgatory where the dead can hook into pods to relive memories they accumulated from their time on Earth.  For me, Felica's memories were far more interesting, and better than the convoluted mess of her after-life.  Remember, this is coming from someone who's not a fan of contemporary YA.

After reading this, Mila 2.0 and the Darkness Rising Trilogy pretty much back to back, it got me wondering what happened to all the decent female friendships in YA novels?  Why are these girls all backstabbers?  Especially over BOYS?!?  Can't they be backstabbers for more imaginative reasons?  Like you stole my favourite pen?  Pretty please?  If anything, these types of books make me thankful and appreciative for the characters the inhabit Gail Carriger's books.  If Dimity ever dumps Sophorina, or vice verse, over a boy, I don't know what I'll do, but it will probably include Hulk like smashing.

I don't want to sound harsh, and I'm sure if you like any of these: love triangles, girls who are so beautiful that boys fall at their feet without the girl realising her Helen of Troy like beauty, a bitchy best friend, and some angels thrown in for good measure, then Level 2 will be the book for you.  It's just not a book for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment