Tuesday 2 June 2015

Top Ten Books I'd Love To See As Movies/Tv Shows

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and The Bookish.  I did the whole "books I'd like to see as movies/t.v shows" topic for TTT in 2013 and none of them have been put onto either the big or small screen as of yet, so I thought I'd shake things up a little bit (a.k.a I can't think of anything new).  Instead of books I'd like to see, I'm going with 4 adaptations that I'd like erased from history because they are awful, and then 6 adaptations that are surprisingly good.


The Worst:


1. Northern Lights/The Golden Compass
I cannot express how disappointed I was with this movie.  It came out not long after I had to read Northern Lights for my Children's Literature Module at Uni - so I was super hyped for the movie!  All I can remember is thinking that it was super long and completely sucked anything good from the source material.  Also **SPOILER**- no we cannot go to sleep!  You are supposed to be dead!

2. The Time Traveller's Wife
I didn't want to see this movie.  However, my boyfriend knew that this was my favorite book and was all like, we should go...I really wish I had told him flat out no.  I know that adaptations are just that - adaptations and not literal copies - but you still have to maintain the essence of the text (see below for good examples of this).  The film changes too much, plus there is an utter lack of chemistry between the two leads, and I just can't.

3. Sookie Stackhouse Mysteries/True Blood
I never got the True Blood love...I thought it was so cheesy!  Add that to too many changes, and I didn't make it past episode five.

4.The Dresden Files
Don't mess around with Bob!  He is perfect in the books.  Don't mess with perfection!

The Surprising:


1. Warm Bodies
I know there were a few changes, but this film is so cute and has a great soundtrack too!

2. We Need to Talk about Kevin
The film is not an easy watch but is an outstanding adaptation that doesn't sanitize the unsettling nature of the source material.

3. Harry Potter Series
I can't think of a reason for this one.  The first films are cheesy as a desert course for those who don't like sweet things (apparently they exist...I am not one of those people.  Chocolate cake forever!), but they are still endearing and it's somewhat lovely to watch everyone grow up on screen.

4. Hunger Games
I'm not a fan of The Hunger Games, but I've got to admit that the first movie is a pretty good adaptation.  I even got bored in the same bit of the movie that I did in the book!

5. Girl With the Dragoon Tattoo
Both the Swedish and the American adaptations are awesome - go watch them!

6. Gone Girl
I think David Fincher has gotten that it's all about essence - and Gone Girl had the unhinged in suburbia down pat.  I think I may also have it figured out that it's all about distance...the more time I have between finishing the book and seeing the movie often leads to me actually liking the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment