Sunday 12 July 2015

Summer TBR 2015 - Koko Takes a Holiday



I received Kieran Shea's Koko Takes a Holiday for my birthday last year.  I only requested this book because it has a Joey Hi-Fi cover.  The Hi-Fi method seems to have been a safe and effective way of finding awesome new books and authors as I haven't been let down yet (next up on my wish list are Lagoon by Nnedi Okorafor and Dream London by Tony Ballantyne).


Five hundred years from now, ex-corporate mercenary Koko Martstellar is swaggering through an early retirement as a brothel owner on The Sixty Islands, a manufactured tropical resort archipelago known for its sex and simulated violence.  Surrounded by slang-drooling boywhores and synthetic komodo dragons, the most challenging part of Koko's day is deciding on her next drink.  That is, until her old comrade Portia Delacompte sends a squad of security personnel to murder her.

Koko is essentially a popcorn movie in book form; glossy, a touch ultra violent, a whole lot of fun, and essentially a perfect summer read.  I managed to read the whole book in one weekend which is an amazing feat for me at the moment.   I'm not one hundred percent sure that there was a lot of character stuff going on, and I wish that some of the ideas that Shea had included in his world had been expanded upon, but this didn't detract from my overall enjoyment of reading this bonkers story.  Weirdly, the only issue I took was with marketing, as Titan advertise on page 2 that Koko the Mighty is due in 2015...She's being hunted by bounty hunters, surely you want to actually give the impression that Koko might not make it?

On a fun note, the arm's dealer reminded me of a Doctor Who character - so much that I haven't been able to stop quoting, "I'm old...I'm fat...I'm blue!".

To sum up; if you get a chance, check this crazy book out!

No comments:

Post a Comment